The Second Station

In January 2024 Focus, we wrote about the coming of the railway to Church Stretton and the building of the station to the north side of the Sandford Avenue bridge. By the early 1900s, increased passenger traffic needed longer trains and longer platforms. It was not possible to extend the platforms of the original station because to the north the entrance to the goods yard was in the way and to the south the Sandford Avenue bridge.

Consequently a second station was built to the south of the Sandford Avenue bridge and officially opened in 1914. The platforms were 551 feet long, with the main buildings on the up (west) side, waiting rooms on both platforms and a covered foot bridge over the line to link them. The lighting was by gas. Water columns stood at the end of each platform as well as one on the north side of the bridge.

The station master’s house is all that remains of the old station

In 1947 the staff consisted of a stationmaster, five clerks, four signalmen, four porters, one checker, one goods porter, two lorry drivers, two crossing keepers and ten engineering lengthmen who maintained the track.

Most of the smaller stations along the line were closed on 9th June 1958. Between Shrewsbury and Ludlow, only stations at Church Stretton and Craven Arms remain. Goods traffic to Church Stretton ceased on 19th September 1966.

The weigh bridge and hut

Whilst passenger traffic continued, the station became an unstaffed one on 3rd July 1967.

The station buildings were demolished in February 1970 and replaced by a simple shelter on each platform.

Barrie Raynor and Tony Crowe from Church Stretton through the ages